Subscribe:

Pages

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Stretching Faith: What's in a name?


The poem below was one that I wrote two years ago, when I finally arrived at being comfortable enough in my own skin to express who I was as an artist, a Christian and even more so...as a human being. The title of the piece, just happens to be the title of my blog! I feel, in many ways, this piece of writing still articulates perfectly my deep-rooted love of humanity, the disappointments and the joys that I have overcome and embraced, and just sincerely sheds some light on how I view the world. 

When I decided to start this blog, I prayed about what I should title it. A name can so easily make the wrong first impression, and I wanted everyone who read or stumbled upon my reflections to understand that this is not being about a fantastic writer, but about faith, love, hope, growth and HEALING! And the more I prayed, the more God made it obvious that I should title it after my most prized piece of writing. 

I mean, isn't that what life does? Push us? Mold us?

S t re t c h  u s ?

Ten years ago, we as a nation learned how to love in solidarity, mourn in solidarity, forgive in solidarity...and even pray in solidarity. The great tragedy of 9/11 stretched our faith, but in the end made us such a beautifully strong community and that is truly something we will never forget. 

I, as the writer, think it's fitting that today, on this memorial, I share this poem with all of you, because the truth is this poem isn't just about me. It's about humanity. It's about each individual human being's walk through life, our search for joy and understanding, through faith, trust and God. 

God bless humanity.


Stretching Faith [written by Katey K.]
Sometimes in the morning I stretch my arms so far away from my body that I can feel the weight of the world crushing down on my soul. I fold my arms as close to my chest as I possibly can to keep my insides from turning upside down, but the problems, they just keep on coming.

And on a good day, I can feel the sun stretch its arms toward me, gently caressing my face. The warmth electrifies every cell in my body and I am propelled into verb. My eyes flit as they observe the world, my mind’s eye always correcting my first impression and soon I am leaping from this world into the divine.

On a good day, the sidewalk is not just a pathway that leads from point A to point B, but is the beginning to a journey that twists and turns and never truly ends. It is the story of a million people’s footprints. It is the story of life itself, tracing the arduous walks of pain and the child-like skips of jubilee.

Sometimes in the afternoon I laugh so hard that I can see the laughter fall to the floor in a million pieces, and I scramble to save each joy before they are stepped on by the cowards who roam the streets with unclean consciences. But I am left alone with nothing but my salty hopes, trickling softly down my face.

But on a good day, the breeze wisps the songs of children’s prayers to my ears and I am suddenly invigorated by the innocence that still exists in this very age of darkness. Their shouts of glee are the very foundation of my hope for the peace that could once again be reinstated to our world.

On a good day, I am rejuvenated, excited to help those who are broken down, unappreciated and searching for something substantial to grasp onto. I am lifted high on the euphoria of love and faith and I find strength to be the rock, the very support, for those around me.

Sometimes in the evening I squeeze my eyes so tightly shut in anticipation to my own disappearance into the darkness that enfolds me. My lungs begin to close to keep out the ghosts that circle me slowly, whining their expectations in my direction as if I know how to speak their language of despair.

Yet on a good day, the peaceful moonlit sleeps fill my body with a serenity that cannot be compared to any other activity. The shadows that move to and fro on my walls appear as fairies dancing in the glory of night time folly and I am perpetually holding myself back from dancing along with their gracefulness.

On a good day, I cannot help but smile as I fall into slumber. For I have lived a full and bountiful life. Regret has become merely a myth among the chaos that runs ramped in my mind. I am the embodiment of humanity. And this is the most calming sentiment after a full day’s work.

I am the embodiment of humanity.

1 comment:

  1. This is SOOOOOO good! I will share it with my friends if you don't mind.

    ReplyDelete